Skip to main content
Your browser is out of date

Unfortunately some parts of the Cigna New Zealand website don’t work properly on your browser version, please update your browser and try again.

How much income protection cover do I need?

The level of income protection cover you choose will depend on your needs. Things you'll need to consider:

  • Do you have mortgage payments to cover?
  • How about credit card bills or hire purchases?
  • Is your income covering all your regular spending such as groceries, electricity bill etc or does your spouse or partner work and contribute too?

What is a wait period?

Your wait period is the amount of time you'll need to cover your usual expenses before you'll start receiving your benefit payments. You may want to take into account how much sick leave you have. And what savings you can draw on.

You can choose your wait period from 30 or 90 days. Remember, your benefit amount is paid in arrears so you'll need to add another 30 days to your wait period before you receive your first payment.

What is a benefit period?

This is how long you want to receive your income cover for. You can choose your benefit period based on how much you can afford to pay. A longer benefit period will be more expensive. We offer a range of benefit periods from 6 months to 2 years.

What's my benefit amount?

Your benefit amount will be up to 75% of your average monthly pre claim earnings. This can be up to $10,000 a month or up to $3,000 a month for special risk occupations (these are listed below).

How do I calculate my annual income?

This will depend on your situation. If you are an employee this is your salary before tax. If you are self-employed or a paid director your annual income is your income before tax (after business or professional expenses), as declared to IRD. Please read the Policy Wording for specific details about how income will be calculated if you need to make a claim.

Can I use my income benefit money on anything?

If your claim is accepted, it's up to you to decide how to use the money. Maybe you'll need to cover bills - such as your mortgage, day-to-day bills, or to ensure that your family's lifestyle is less affected by your inability to work.

Can my spouse / partner be covered too?

We don't offer joint income protection cover but your spouse/partner can apply for Income Protection from Cigna separately.

Can I nominate a beneficiary to receive my benefits?

No, you cannot nominate any beneficiaries. You are the only person who is entitled to receive any benefits under this policy in the event that you are unable to work due to illness or injury covered by Income Protection from Cigna.

How much does Cigna Income Protection cost?

Premiums can be from $7 per week depending on your age, occupation, income and smoking status. Use our easy quick quote tool to find out how much you would pay.

Can I be covered if I smoke?


When will my policy end?

You are covered until the policy anniversary date after you turn 65.

How long am I covered for if I get sick or injured?

If you get ill or have an accident we'll cover you for the benefit period you've chosen.

How does the Income Benefit work when you claim more than once?

You can claim more than once for unrelated Illnesses and Injuries.

You can also claim for a recurring or related illness or injury. The difference is, any more claims for a recurring illness or injury will be considered a continuation of the original claim.

For example: If you have an injury to your knee and claim for 6 months, if your chosen benefit period is 1 year and if you claim for your knee injury again, your benefit period for the second claim will only be 6 months. If the recurrence happens within 6 months of the original claim ending you won't have to wait to get your income benefit. Once you've had a total claim time for the knee injury of 1 year (the chosen benefit period in this example) you won't be able to claim for that condition again.

Are income protection premiums tax deductible?

The premiums you pay for Cigna Income Protection may be tax deductible. You'll need to check with the IRD or your accountant.

Can I cancel my policy?

You can cancel your policy at any time by contacting us on 0800 900 047. We have a 30 day free look period so if you decide within 30 days it's not for you we'll refund your premiums no questions asked. If it's after the 30 day free look period, we won't refund any premiums paid.

Am I covered if I get sick or injured overseas?

You're covered for any Illness or Injury that happens almost anywhere in the world but you have to be living and working in New Zealand to buy this cover. Please see the exclusions in the Policy Wording for countries that are not covered.

What is the Healthy Living Bonus?

If you haven't made a claim in the first year and all your premiums have been paid, we'll give you $100 cash back.

What happens if my occupation is classed as special risk?

You can still be covered, with a maximum monthly Income Benefit of $3,000.

Are there any exclusions?

Yes, we will not pay a claim arising directly or indirectly from:

  • a Pre-existing Medical Condition
  • a Mental Illness
  • any intentional self-inflicted injury, whether sane or insane
  • pregnancy, giving birth, miscarrying or having a pregnancy terminated, unless you are Unable to Work for more than 3 months after the pregnancy ends, in which case benefits will be paid from this point on
  • participation in, or training for, speed contests or any professional sport
  • engaging in, preparing for or travelling to and from the site where the activity is to take place for any of the following activities: Aerial activities other than as a fare paying passenger in an aircraft licensed to carry passengers on a recognised and regular airline, base jumping, black water rafting, boxing, bungy jumping, canyoning, caving or pot holing, diving, mountaineering, outdoor climbing, hunting, motor sports (types on land or water) or trans ocean racing.
  • War or any act of War, invasion, Terrorism or any act of Terrorism, act of foreign enemy, hostilities, strike, riot and/or civil commotion, civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, military or usurped power
  • drug use (unless the drugs were prescribed and taken as prescribed by a Registered Doctor)
  • your participation in a criminal act (which includes driving with excess blood alcohol levels)
  • your travel to a country which is classed as extreme risk (meaning it is classified as a 'Do Not Travel' country) by the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) or its successor, during the time you are in that country (A full explanation of these classifications and a list of countries can be found at
  • any condition which is, or results from, or is a complication of, infection with Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), or any variance including Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS Related Complex (ARC); unless it results from Medically Acquired or Occupationally Acquired HIV

Please read the Policy Wording for full terms, conditions and exclusions.


If you are made Redundant we'll waive your premiums, while you are off work, for up to 6 months.

Can I change my policy?

It's important to review your insurance regularly to make sure you have the right amount of cover you need. If your income changes, you may want to change your Benefit Amount to match 75% of your new income. You can apply to change your Benefit Amount, Benefit Term, Wait Period and how you pay your premiums at any time, simply contact us to discuss your options. Any health, occupational or financial changes that occur after your policy starts may affect the terms of your cover if you change it - we'll make sure you know about any changes.

How do I make a claim?

If you need to make a claim, contact us as soon as possible and we'll guide you through the process. You'll need to complete a claim form and return it to us together with any information we ask for so we can consider your claim.

What are Pre-existing Medical Conditions?

These are any illnesses, injuries or medical conditions that you were aware you had, had signs or symptoms of, or are being treated for when your policy starts or that you had in the two years before your policy started.

What are special risk occupations?

Most occupations that are classified as special risk are considered dangerous, or find it difficult to return to work after injury or illness. Here is our current list of special risk occupations as at 8th June 2012:

  • Abattoir Worker
  • Aerial Erector
  • Aerial Maintenance
  • Aerial Repairer
  • Aerobics Instructor
  • Aeronautical Engineer - Flying
  • Agricultural Contractor
  • Arborist
  • Aviation - Loader
  • Boner
  • Cabin Crew
  • Cameraperson - Overseas Travel
  • Chemical Engineer - deals with hazardous materials
  • Chimney Sweep
  • Contract Driver - not motorcycle
  • Dance Instructor
  • Demolition Worker, No Use of Explosives
  • Electrician - Non Domestic
  • Electrician - Power Lines
  • Erector
  • Erector - Steel
  • Farm worker
  • Fire Fighter
  • Fish Gutter - Offshore
  • Fisherman
  • Fisherperson
  • Fishing Vessel Worker
  • Fitness Instructor
  • Flight Attendant
  • Forest Ranger
  • Forestry Technician
  • Forestry Worker
  • Freezing Worker
  • Gym Instructor
  • Inflight Services Director
  • Labourer - construction
  • Labourer - farming
  • Lifeguard
  • Loader
  • Logging Contractor
  • Logging Mill Proprietor
  • Logging Mill Worker
  • Logging Worker
  • Lumberjack
  • Meat Industry worker
  • Meat Worker
  • Merchant Marine Worker
  • Merchant Seaman
  • Mill Worker
  • Personal Trainer
  • Pipeline worker - Oil and Gas
  • Police - Detective (not involved in undercover work/drug squad or armed offenders squad)
  • Police - Inspector (not involved in undercover work/drug squad or armed offenders squad)
  • Police - Superintendent (not involved in undercover work/drug squad or armed offenders squad)
  • Police Officer - 100% Office based
  • Private Investigator - Corporate work only
  • Radio/TV Announcer
  • Reporter - Foreign Assignments
  • Reporter - Freelance
  • Roofer
  • Sawmill Foreman
  • Sawmill Hand
  • Scaffolder - Heights over 15 Metres
  • Steel Erector - Below 15 Metres
  • Steel worker
  • Steward/stewardess - Airline
  • Swimming Instructor
  • Timber Worker
  • Timberman
  • Tree Feller
  • Tree Surgeon
  • Wharf Supervisor
  • Window Cleaner