Unsupported Browser

Your web browser appears to be outdated. Our website may not look quite right in it.

Please consider updating your browser to enjoy an optimal experience.

Skip to main content

Is Business insurance for me?

Leave your details and an Insurance Adviser will give you a call

Product Interest *
Best time to call: *
Would you like to speak to a Cigna Insurance Adviser or an Independent Financial Adviser? *
Thank you for submitting your message, we will be in contact with you shortly.

Please note: by selecting ‘speak to an Independent Financial Adviser’ above, you authorise us to share your contact details with an authorised independent financial adviser in your area to discuss your insurance requirements

What else do I need to know?

Am I covered if I get sick or injured overseas?

You're covered for any Illness or Injury that happens almost anywhere in the world but you have to be living and working in New Zealand to buy this cover. Please see the exclusions in the Policy Wording for countries that are not covered.

Are income protection premiums tax deductible?

The premiums you pay for Cigna Income Protection may be tax deductible. You'll need to check with the IRD or your accountant.

Are there any exclusions?

Yes, we will not pay a claim arising directly or indirectly from:

  • a Pre-existing Medical Condition

  • a Mental Illness

  • any intentional self-inflicted injury, whether sane or insane

  • pregnancy, giving birth, miscarrying or having a pregnancy terminated, unless you are Unable to Work for more than 3 months after the pregnancy ends, in which case benefits will be paid from this point on

  • participation in, or training for, speed contests or any professional sport

  • engaging in, preparing for or travelling to and from the site where the activity is to take place for any of the following activities: Aerial activities other than as a fare paying passenger in an aircraft licensed to carry passengers on a recognised and regular airline, base jumping, black water rafting, boxing, bungy jumping, canyoning, caving or pot holing, diving, mountaineering, outdoor climbing, hunting, motor sports (types on land or water) or trans ocean racing.

  • War or any act of War, invasion, Terrorism or any act of Terrorism, act of foreign enemy, hostilities, strike, riot and/or civil commotion, civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, military or usurped power

  • drug use (unless the drugs were prescribed and taken as prescribed by a Registered Doctor)

  • your participation in a criminal act (which includes driving with excess blood alcohol levels)

  • your travel to a country which is classed as extreme risk (meaning it is classified as a 'Do Not Travel' country) by the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) or its successor, during the time you are in that country (A full explanation of these classifications and a list of countries can be found at www.safetravel.govt.nz)

  • any condition which is, or results from, or is a complication of, infection with Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), or any variance including Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS Related Complex (ARC); unless it results from Medically Acquired or Occupationally Acquired HIV

Please read the Policy Wording for full terms, conditions and exclusions.

Can I apply for a new policy?

We’re continuing to accept applications for policies, but in light of the medical and financial impacts that COVID-19 is likely to have, we’ve made some changes to how we assess applications for underwritten products, such as Life Cover or Income Protection.

There may be heightened risk for applicants with certain occupations, employment status and underlying medical conditions. So we need to take these risks into account before we issue new policies.

Can I apply for an income protection policy?

In light of the impact that COVID-19 is likely to have on the economy, we’ve made some changes to how we deal with income protection cover. Our current priority is assessing applications for people working in an essential business as defined by the NZ Government. Those not working in essential business will be given individual consideration.

Can I be covered if I smoke?


Can I cancel my life insurance policy?

Cigna offers Term Life Insurance policies, which means a policy is automatically renewed every 12 months and can be cancelled at any time.

A Life Insurance policy will be cancelled by the insurer if:

  • the Life Cover Amount is paid in full, i.e. a claim is paid out

  • the Policyholder asks to cancel the policy

  • a Terminal Illness Benefit or Critical Illness Benefit is paid and is equal to the Life Cover Amount

  • if the policy’s premiums are unpaid for three months

Can I cancel my policy?

You can cancel your policy at any time by contacting us on 0800 900 047. We have a 30 day free look period so if you decide within 30 days it's not for you we'll refund your premiums no questions asked.

If it's after the 30 day free look period, we won't refund any premiums paid.

We can take care of your personal life too

Including life, travel, income and funeral cover